3/29/12

Tempted Versus Tested, And Personified Sin.

I was reading today in James 1. "When tempted, no one should say, God is tempting me. For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by this own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death." Verses 13-15 NIV

So then, what is the difference between being tempted and being tested? It says very clearly that God does not tempt us... but does he test us? What does this look like?

My observation from this verse is that temptation stems from our own evil desire. Since God has no evil desire, temptation cannot come from Him. The goal of temptation is to lead us into sinful action. That's not God's desire for us to sin.

I believe that temptation can come from within us (like this verse says - from our own evil desires), or from the devil who has come to kill, steal, and destroy. But I think so often we are quick to jump to the conclusion that satan is tempting us to sin, when in reality we are just sinful beings since the fall. (why we need a Savior) How many times have you said "The devil made me do it..." No. Just stop.

But, there are many examples in the bible where God's people were being tested by Him. Tested to confirm faith or prove commitment.

"Moses said to the people, Do not be afraid, God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning." Exodus 20:20
"Remember how the Lord your God led you all the way in the desert these forty years, to humble you and to test you in order to know what your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands." Deuteronomy 8:2

On another note, I love how the author (James) describes sin so vividly. When we give into temptation we are essentially being dragged away and enticed. I can just imagine this in my mind... being dragged away by the darkness that is sin. I just see myself screaming and thrashing against it... (I hope I would thrash against sin). But sometimes it's enticing... sin seems so good. And at that point, I see myself walking into what I believe is love... only to find out it is death. And after desire is conceived, it gives birth to sin and when sin is full grown it gives birth to death. Ah... that is just a tad frightening; Full grown sin. I just want to personify these images. What does full grown sin look like? Do I want to know? No... not really. This is the romance story turned twisted. Love, desire, sex, birth, death. This is quite the picture. I want my love story to be quite the opposite. My first love. The desire that I have that leads to a close and intimate relationship with Jesus. Leading to the birth and growth of the fruits. This story ends in life, not death.

Anyways, I think better when I write.

No comments:

Post a Comment