3/19/12

I am the clay, You are the potter.

"The word that came to Jeremiah from the Lord: Arise and go down to the potter's house, and there I will let you hear my words. So I went down to the potter's house, and there he was working at his wheel. And the vessel he was making of clay was spoiled in the potter's hand, and he reworked it into another vessel, as it seemed good to the potter to do. Then the word of the Lord came to me: O house of Israel, can I not do with you as this potter has done? declares the Lord. Behold, like the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand." Jeremiah 18:1-6

When the text says the clay was "spoiled", what does this mean? My commentary says that the clay did not develop properly and needed to be reworked. The potter shaped and reshaped the wet clay to keep the developing vessel symmetrical as it seemed good to the potter.

Is there a time when I am like the spoiled clay? Basically all the time... I am in such need to my God to reshape who I am according to his will. It's not like the clay knows how to mold itself. It can't simply get up and change on it's own... that is physically impossible. As am I, I need You to change, transform and make me into the woman you want me to be. I don't want to be a lop-sided vessel, that is of no use. I don't want to be cracked and leaking water. Only You can make me whole.

I've never read this passage before... I like it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment